OT-ish: Build-it stuff / elektor

Holger Veit holger.veit at ais.fraunhofer.de
Tue Jun 13 08:12:05 CDT 2006

woodelf schrieb:
> Jos Dreesen / Marian Capel wrote:
>

>>> Whether it is the chicken or the egg, they also have access to
>>> better parts stores (for hobbiest quantities) and excellent
>>> magazines.  The Dutch
>>> magazine Electuur is translated into English and published in the UK
>>> every month as Elector.  It has excellent construction articles,
>>> readily available firmware, and even the PCB layout for most of the
>>> projects.
>>

>> Elector is indeed recommended.
>> AFAIK it also  published the first DIY computer : in May '74 they
>> started a series on a 12 or 16 bit TTL-based computer. That is two
>> months before the Mark-8.
>>
>> Those who like to see something special should check it out : it is a
>> two-address machine, no instructions, but memory-mapped "functional
>> units". It even had hardware based multiply and divide !
> Umm where? A quick google search found nothing.
I have all (German) Elektor magazines since the first one in 1/1970 until about 12/1998 where the magazine started to become yet another popular blurb gazette with some relation to electronics.

The mentioned "Computer 74" is also in my list; it was an interesting
gadget to learn about TTL logic - an open collector bus, sort of bucket-brigade dynamic memory, a diode-matrix state machine. The machine was 12 bit. Unfortunately, that series ended abruptly after six issues - one would have expected some more functional units.

I could maybe persuaded to scan in the stuff (notably: the schematics are easily understandable for any EE freak, but the text is German - not that I don't have any problems to understand that as well :-) ).

--
Holger