SBC6120 (a build-it-yourself PDP-8 clone) grammer checked

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Wed Jun 14 12:05:59 CDT 2006

On 6/14/2006 at 6:30 AM dwight elvey wrote:

>I did my first short wave receiver from an article in "Boys Life".
>I use a piece of ply wood and borrowed a neighbors router
>to make channels for all the wires and screws. It didn't
>need the corner feet :)

When I was a boy, the local branch of the public library had an 1890's book
titled "Harper's Electrical Book for Boys" (IIRC).  It showed how to make
everything from telephones to dynamos and lead-acid secondary cells and
carbon-arc lamps.  It had directions that said things like "Go to a
blacksmith's shop and have him fabricate the following part" or "Oil of
Vitriol can often be obtained from your local illuminating gasworks."

I really liked that book, even though I never built anything from
it--blacksmiths were in short supply at the time--and I never did find my
local gasworks.  I wonder if electronics will get to the point of some
young lad wondering where on earch one would find a 74LS00 or 2N2222 or
1N914 or even "hookup wire".

Cheers,
Chuck