Scanning Microfiche

Al Kossow aek at bitsavers.org
Tue Jun 20 09:24:34 CDT 2006

>> We've got about a million ICL fiches too that could benefit from
>> scanning, but luckily those are just a single A4 page per fiche and so
>> a little more manageable.

You should be able to get very good images off of something that large.

Scanning DEC fiche is a nightmare. Some is 25 x 13 frames (and NOT Computer
Output to Microfilm). Total garbage even at 48x. The COM listings come out OK
but there is just so MUCH (thousands of sheets) to do.

Sadly, scanning from the original paper is a MUCH better source, but most of
the paper was thrown out when they were converted to film.