Root password on solaris 5.7?

jim stephens jwstephens at msm.umr.edu
Tue Jun 27 17:30:55 CDT 2006

Adrian Graham wrote:

>On 27/6/06 22:54, "Julian Wolfe" <fireflyst at earthlink.net> wrote:
>

>>You need that disk, but once you have it you can 'boot -s' and
>>'sys-unconfigure'
>>
>>Then when you reboot, you are prompted with a setup that walks you through
>>configuring the box for your purposes.
>>

>Ah, right. I'll see if the people I got it from still have that version of
>solaris, though I doubt it :)

You can download the current version of solaris9 or 10 and use it.
There is a cdrom
version of it, and you only need the first (and maybe the second) cdrom
if you are
only going to crack the root password.  I think maybe one of the current
sparc versions
of solaris may drop support of the Ultra 2, so solaris 9 might be a
better bet.

You do have to register an ID of some sort to do a $0 purchase from sun,
but you
need not give credit card or any more information than a confirming
email address
to get that far, assuming you don't actually plan to buy anything.  I
don't care for the
paradigm that you have to "buy" free downloads but I guess they can give
away
their stuff any way they want to that way.

boot from the cdrom.

when the installer screen finally comes up, you can right click on the
background and
open a console.

In the console that you have opened you are root.  you can mount the 0
partition of
the boot disk (usually SCSI target 3), and edit /etc/shadow to remove
the password.

/etc/passwd does not have the encrypted root password.

use the "format" command with care if you want to survey the drives
available
on your system.  It will come up and present an enumeration of disks to
operate on.

it can be used much like fdisk to look at partiton data from the
installer.  It
will be on any solaris boot disk you can find from sunos 4.1 thru all
versions of solaris.

The boot -s went out with solaris, so it is not of any use to try to
do.  there is no
path to root via single user w/o supplying the root password.

Also the "boot from another partition" suggestion won't work unless the
system
has multiple bootable disks in it.  not impossible, but uncommon.
Systems are
seldom set up with more than one partition bootable, except in strange
circumstances.

An ultra 2 may have dual cpu's and will have internal scsi disks.

A plextor scsi narrow cdrom drive is ideal if you don't have a cdrom
built into the Ultra 2.

There are other tutorials on the net that give more detail than this,
but I wanted
to suggest alternatives to some posts, which probably won't work.  (not
impossible,
but are probably hail mary operations).

Jim