Root password on solaris 5.7?

Ethan Dicks ethan.dicks at gmail.com
Thu Jun 29 05:02:39 CDT 2006

On 6/29/06, Jules Richardson <julesrichardsonuk at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> I'm interested to know why there's a SPARCServer 1000 board on there with a
> BIN of over $300US - I don't suppose those machines turn up *that* often, but
> I thought the system boards were just SPARC4's or 5's with several CPU boards
> fitted...

ISTR the SPARCserver 1000 is a sun4d machine.  Internally, it's
nothing like a SPARC 5.

I used to take care of one at Lucent, but I never had to open the box
- it just ran and
ran and ran.  I wouldn't mind one, except I think it has a low
Computron/KwH ratio.
For the juice one consumes, I'd rather run a 3000 - pedestal case,
room for several
internal SCA drives, and you can really load it up with CPUs and memory.

Read about a guy on the suns-at-home list a while back that got a 3000
from his former employer for like 100 euros!  I'd take that deal!
Dunno if I'd spring for $300 for a SS1000
if I had to pay shipping on top of that - they are *tanks*.  Might be
an OK price at Dayton.

-ethan