Why do people keep stealing my work :(

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Fri Jun 30 00:00:12 CDT 2006

>> Lots of clever ideas to prevent/discourage that sort of thing  ;-)

I knew a fellow who liked to "brand" his code by executing his name.
Actually, it's pretty easy on x86 platforms; most uppercase alphas are
simple 1-byte register ops.  For example, "DERMOUSE"  would translate to:

INC SP
INC BP
PUSH DX
DEC BP
DEC DI
PUSH BP
PUSH BX
INC BP

The simple way to code this would be to follow this with a bit of "fixup"
code:

DEC BP
ADD SP,5
INC DI

But code of a bit more devious bent would actually set registers up with
known values before the name and then check their values to make sure that
the "name" code has been executed.

I once remember hacking some game that did just this.  Drove me nuts when
the execution path veered off into what I thought was data.

Cheers,
Chuck