OT Tom Swift

Kevin Handy kth at srv.net
Mon Mar 6 12:11:02 CST 2006

Zane H. Healy wrote:

>> Tom Swift? Never heard of 'em... It's either way before my time, or
>> one of
>> the many things that never managed to get across the Atlantic...
>

> It probably never made it across the Atlantic.
>
> First series 1910-1930's
> Second Series 1950's through 1960's (still being sold in very early 80's)
> Third Series 1980's
> Fourth Series (not sure when this came out or if it's still going).
>
> The best two series are the first two, and the third is set in the
> future with really no tie in.  The Tom Swift of the first series, is
> the father in the second.  Basically it's a series of "Scientific"
> adventure books for boys.  I managed to complete my set of the second
> series while I was still in school, and I'm now about two-thirds, to
> three-quarters of the way through finishing a set of the First series.
>
> Both of the first two series would probably be considered to be very
> dated, and downright humorous by todays youth.  Hopefully when the
> time comes, my kids will read my collections of Tom Swift, Hardy Boys,
> Nancy Drew, Happy Hollisters, and others.  I've got over a full sized
> bookcase of the genre packed away from when I was a kid (including two
> different versions of many of the original Hardy Boys stories).

For what it's worth, Project Gutenberg has a selection of
Tom Swift books if anyone wants to read them.

Go To

   http://www.gutenberg.org/catalog/

And enter "Tom Swift" in the title search bar.

Most are available in several formats (HTML, Text, etc...)

there's probably a list of them somewhere in chronological
order, but that is left as an exercise for the student...