TENEX on emulator (simh?)

Al Kossow aek at bitsavers.org
Wed Mar 8 13:40:33 CST 2006

 > If we're talking about the same thing, TENEX ran on a modified
PDP-10.
 > It was a precursor to TOPS-10 (at least I think it was).

That's what Ivan & Bert Sutherland said (it was Bert, I think) in a
Computer History Museum video on google I watched the other day.

---

google for "Dan Murphy" and "TENEX" for the history.

Zane will probably pop up about this at some point as well.

TENEX was developed at BBN to develop a more modern operating
system for the original PDP-10 (KA-10) processor. It required
special hardware to support demand paging (the BBN Pager Box)

TOPS-10 was the original PDP-10 operating system.

DEC hired Murphy later to modify TENEX for the third generation
(KL-10) processor. This became TOPS-20.

A couple of other variants of TENEX were developed as well; the
one used on the PARC-devoped MAXC and the Foonly (called FOONEX)

Docs for the BBN pager are scanned under bbn on bitsavers.