archival cd-r - really true?

David Holland dholland at woh.rr.com
Wed Mar 8 17:51:11 CST 2006

On Wed, 2006-03-08 at 13:17 -0800, Zane H. Healy wrote:

> I totally agree with the stability of the polymers, I'm more than a little
> concerned about the suitability of DVD-R's as a result.  Does anyone know of
> "Archival Quality" DVD-R's?  I'd be happy with something that's good for 50
> years at this point :^)
>
>		Zane

I'd be curious about this too.    I've been helping a friend of mine
make home DVD video's of her kids and it has been a question we've both
been asking. I don't expect 100yrs out of these, but 20 would be good.
The "data" doesn't have any real monetary value, but it does have a
great deal of "personal" value.

There's lots of sites out there that'll discuss C1, C2, and PI errors
off a fresh burn, but that doesn't mean much over time as the dye's
break down. (afaict)

David