archival cd-r - really true?

Brad Parker brad at heeltoe.com
Thu Mar 9 06:01:14 CST 2006

>> Media longevity is kinda irrelevant if your descendants
>> throw it away because they don't know what it is or how to read
>> it.

Just to be clear, this comment (and other like it) missed my point.

My concern is that things I record now on cd-r might not last even 5-10
years.

My primary concern is the next 5-10 years.  Maybe 20 at the outside.  I
just want media that won't degrade in *my* lifetime.

I've read things which suggest that audio cd's won't last even 5 years
if exposed to sunlight and that's a little scarey (for me) because
cd-r's seem to be more fragile than audio cd's (but perhaps that's not
true).

Anyway, can anyone confirm that the gold and silver CD-R's are much much
better and will last a long long time?

(where long is > 10 years)

-brad