archival cd-r - really true?

Doc Shipley doc at mdrconsult.com
Thu Mar 9 12:19:01 CST 2006

Chuck Guzis wrote:
> On 3/9/2006 at 11:40 AM Doc Shipley wrote:
>

>>  Both recommend plain ol' Brasso as the best available CD repair.  The
>>burningissues page even used some pretty good metrics for comparison.
>

> In this case, the CD-R fell "jelly side down" (i.e., the top of the CD got
> scratched through to such an extent that I could see daylight through it).
> I've wondered if simply using a CD label might avoid the problem--if the
> adhesives in the label backing didn't attack the CD-R itself after a few
> years...

   Yeah, scratching the optical layer off is pretty much the end of the
story.

   I hate labels, though.  They might protect the disk, but there's no
way to get them on perfectly balanced and that trashes readers in a hurry.

> I suppose that what bothers me most about the CD-ROM format is its
> insistence on using the "spiral groove" audio recording layout.  While this
> makes for nice mass production, I'dve much rather had CD-ROMs recorded in
> concentric rings of data like a floppy.  At least that way, one could seek
> to a given track without worrying about what came before it.   On most
> CD-ROM drives that I know of, if the inner tracks are damaged, the CD won't
> even load.

   Hmmm.  I hadn't really looked at it in that light, but you're right.

   Still, "cheap and fast".  I can afford to make two of everything, and
I do.  At least.

   In the DR business they say that not trusting your media is the first
part of making it trustworthy.

	Doc