power up a 10 year dormant MicroVax II

Mon Mar 13 10:09:35 CST 2006

> of course Id take some time to poke around inside, blow out the dust,
> etc., but I was cautioned against even powering it up without
> enlisting -local help- since its been sitting for so long.  Should I
> take such warnings seriously?

In general, yes.  In the case of a uV2?  I don't think so, though I'm
sure there are better people to speak definitively about it.  I've seen
it said that the uV2 is recent enough that there is little-to-no chance
that the electrolytics have failed sitting.

My experience bears this out - I've done a few uV2 turn-ons after long
years idle, with no failures - but the sample size is too small to lend
any statistical validity to that.

					der Mouse