manually installing MSDOS...
drb at msu.edu
Mon Mar 13 16:43:03 CST 2006
> I want to put MSDOS on the FAT partition and triple-boot the machine -
> but the laptop has no floppy drive on it, so I can't just boot from
> a DOS floppy and run SYS that way.
Three thoughts come to mind:
1. Netboot MS-DOS. Haven't done it myself, but it seems to be possible
based on things I've read online.
2. Boot from a USB stick. (If your hardware is new enough.)
3. Start a debian installer from the existing partition, and create
a new Linux install in the "dos" partition. Use that to bootstrap
the re-install of the larger partition.
4. Carefully lick MS-DOS bits into place using mtools et al from the
All of this kind of stuff seems to require recursive approximation.*
Having other machines around to use as crutches always helps.
* i.e. trial and (mostly) error
More information about the cctalk