manually installing MSDOS...

Fred Cisin cisin at xenosoft.com
Wed Mar 15 17:06:04 CST 2006

On Wed, 15 Mar 2006, Barry Watzman wrote:
> Ok, first, the "MS-DOS" that you want to use is "MS-DOS 7", "extracted" from
> Windows 98SE.

IIRC, the original info request did NOT say what he wanted to use it for.
MS-DOS 7.xx is nice, and would be the easiest to install, BUT it might not
necessarily be what he wants/needs.
For all that we know, maybe the DOS Command box of w2K might be all that
he needs!

I occasionally need to boot other versions of OS.  A FAT32 partition can't
be easily accessed by ANYTHING prior to 98SE.

> [Note, the full set of DOS utilities won't fit on a 1.44MB floppy, so be
> sure to put them on the CD so that you have a place to copy them from.]

If you strip out the parts that you don't need, (such as DONKEY.BAS?), you
can put the most needed items on one disk.