manually installing MSDOS...

Jim Leonard trixter at oldskool.org
Wed Mar 15 17:20:44 CST 2006

Fred Cisin wrote:
> If you strip out the parts that you don't need, (such as DONKEY.BAS?), you
> can put the most needed items on one disk.

Hell, you can get most of the good stuff on a 360K disk if you try hard
enough.  One of my favorite tricks is to use ARK (K. Heidenstrom), which
is a .COM archiver and execution stub, to stick all the .COM files I
need into a single .EXE, then compress the .EXE with pklite or lzexe or
similar.  format.com, fdisk.com, and sys.com all go in there, as do a
4KB editor and other utils.

COMMAND.COM is the only .com that can *not* go in there for obvious reasons.