manually installing MSDOS...

Jim Leonard trixter at oldskool.org
Thu Mar 16 17:49:13 CST 2006

Jim Leonard wrote:
> Chuck Guzis wrote:
>> Now, there's an interesting challenge--can one get Windows (probably 3.x)
>> to fit on a single floppy such that generic GUI functionality (640x480
>> video, PS/2 mouse, etc.) is preserved?
>
> Of course, but you'd be "cheating" -- one way I can think of is to
> format the diskette with doublespace/drivespace and store everything in
> the compressed volume.  DOS boots up, mounts the compressed volume, et
> voila you have about 3MB+ to play with.

...just thought of another way to "cheat": format the larger tracks with
more sectors per track to gain more space, and patch the boot code
and/or BIOS to compensate.  I never booted from such disks, but I have
definitely screwed around with capacity successfully (for example,
formatting a 360K disk to 410K, or a 1.4MB disk to 1.8MB, etc.).