ImageDisk / PC FDCs & single-density

Kelly Leavitt CCTalk at catcorner.org
Wed Mar 22 18:57:30 CST 2006

Sorry, my confusion. I have used an Adaptec '1542B' (no F) bios copyright is
1988 (checksum BB00) with mcode copyright 1990 (checksum F3F7). I have read
and written mixed density images using the floppy portion of this
controller. This is a 16-bit ISA SCSI controller with a big 50 pin
centronics type connector on the bracket.

> > I have at least 3 controllers that will work at SD with
> imagedisk. I have
> > tried ID in single density with about 15 different floppy
> controllers, and
> > have one more to test. Is there a FAQ about what
> controllers will write SD
> > images? If not, I'd gladly maintain a list.
>
> I've found 6-7 that work OK - and I've been adding them to
> the documentaion.
> Feedback on what other controllers do and don't work would be
> appreciated,
> however as noted here - some controllers seem to work for
> some people and
> not others (more likely, there are "minor" version variations
> in the controller).

Here is what has worked for me:
Adaptec 1542B (as primary and secondary) BIOS: BB00 MCODE: F3F7

LCS-6625 REV:A2 copyright 1992 - This is a german made 4 floppy controller
that autmatically works under 6.22 to give you 4 floppy drives. Tthe second
two use the "standard" secondary floppy port and come up as E and F for me.
C & D are hard drives and G is the CD-ROM drive in this machine. Works the
same under Linux. I also have a scan of the manual that the maufacturer was
kind enough to send along (just last year).

ACER MIO-400KF - works as primary only. The jumper settings for this are
available in TheRef99.

> So far - every controller I've tried that passes Chuck's
> "testsd" program
> also works for me with ImageDisk at single-density - the case
> I have been
> discussing is the only one I am aware of where this has not
> been the case.

I have one more to test. Are the above notes enough for you to go on? Do you
want me to try "testsd" on any of them?

Kelly