Commodore 64 for grabs

David Griffith dgriffi at cs.csubak.edu
Mon Mar 27 22:55:28 CST 2006

On Mon, 27 Mar 2006, Jim Leonard wrote:

> David Griffith wrote:
> > Here's a guy who's doing a very good job at replicating the SID on FPGA.
>
> I am a complete noob on this subject matter (something that is most
> likely going to get me booed off the stage in about five seconds) but
> wouldn't there be a way to just, I don't know, slice open the chip
> somehow and trace things to reproduce the chip exactly?  (Ignore
> patent/copyright issues for now, I'm just curious in the technical
> feasibility of the process.)  Is something like that possible?

Theoretically, the SID handbook published by Commodore should be enough to
recreate the SID.  Since NMOS isn't used very much anymore, that may be a
roadblock to making exact copies.  There are some xrays of the SID on the
web, which would be a big help.

I'm not very keen on FPGA.  Can someone tell me if one can take FPGA
design specs and make a run of masked chips?

--
David Griffith
dgriffi at cs.csubak.edu