Escon Microcomputer/Selectric Interface System

Marvin Johnston marvin at rain.org
Tue Mar 28 00:25:14 CST 2006

Since I've had a number of requests for the picture, it is online at:

http://www.rain.org/~marvin/escon.jpg

Included, but not shown, are two manuals. The first has the installation and
instruction manuals including schematics, while the second contains the
illustrations and diagrams for use with the Vol I instruction manual. There are
also a number of what look to be Selectric parts.

>From the information in the installtion manual:

"The ESCON equipment covered by these instructions fits all IBM office type
Selectrics. The length of the platen or if it is single or dual pitch, has no
affect on installation of this system. If your machine has a manual velocity
control, contact the factory for special instructions."

Another interesting quote from the instruction manual:

"the magnets used in the ESCON conversion kits have 55-ohm coils, except for the
shift magnet which has a 130-ohm coil."

There were no magnets in this package. I suspect if there was a Selectric
already prepared with the magnets, it got dumpstered before I got a chance to
check this stuff out.