RA81 destruction

Jay West jwest at classiccmp.org
Sun Nov 5 12:19:08 CST 2006

Jules wrote....
> I certainly would have thought that it's worth your while to make up as
> many good units as possible out of the bits, unless you know that the
> failures aren't fixable already. As I recall the drive's on-board diags
> are pretty good (as are the manuals - I'm pretty sure there were
> comprehensive test procedures in there)
Yes, I'm aware of the diags. I have read the manuals quite some time ago and
saw the cute built-in "console port" and such.

I had written...
> > but they are clearly dead

To which Jules responded.
> How do you know?

Because the collector on this list who gave me all the RA81's said they were
tested and dead, and he put the "Bad HDA" tags on the front. But you're
right I shouldn't take his word for it. I should retest them all.

Jay