imaging XENIX disks

Curtis H. Wilbar Jr. rescue at hawkmountain.net
Tue Nov 7 21:19:23 CST 2006

Dave Dunfield wrote:
>> from some poor twisted up soul at the opposite end of
>> the globe:
>>

>>> Hi, Can u please tell me how I can make images of
>>> the Xenix disks? Because I
>>> can't read them with DOS since they have a different
>>> format. I've tried
>>> Winimage and ImageDisk but they didn't work.
>>>

> I made images of the Xenix disks I have for my Altos
> with ImageDisk and it worked for me.

Oohhh.. which Altos would this be ?  I'm looking for Xenix
for my Altos 886.

> I don't recall if Xenix has single density tracks, however
> it it does, some PC's physically can't read them - I've
> also seen some formats which are marginal on some PC's,
> slowing the drive slightly can help. Finally, it could be
> settings - what is the format of the disk and what type of
> drive is he using, and what ImageDisk settings are in
> effect.

As I understand it Altos Xenix (for the 886) at least was quad
density disks.  80 tracks, double density.  Should be able to
image them using a 1.2M 5.25" PC floppy as long as software
can understand the format (I'd think it should do it anyway).

-- Curt