OT: Where have electronics hobby stores gone?

Cameron Kaiser spectre at floodgap.com
Tue Nov 7 21:19:51 CST 2006

> > I agree.., I'm appalled that RS has abandoned the hobbyist. It seems to
> > be the trend..., retailers so driven by profit numbers and markets that they
> > abandon those who put them in business in the first place.
>
> What I don't understand is what keeps RS in business.  It can't be
> mobile phones or Dish TV.  Certainly not batteries (I think I still
> have an RS battery club card).  A lot of what they sell in the way of
> cable, etc. can be puchased at Wal Mart and Home Depot.

But not necessarily components (or at least not conveniently). There's no
Fry's here for about 50-75 miles in any direction, so I'm stuck with the
local RS for getting a part. They still have them, in drawers, but they're
there.

--
--------------------------------- personal: http://www.armory.com/~spectre/ ---
-- Time wounds all heels. -- Groucho Marx -------------------------------------