Free DEC SCSI cable, centronics 50 male to 68 pin female (HD68?)

CRC technobug at comcast.net
Sat Nov 11 16:25:51 CST 2006

On Sat, 11 Nov 2006 00:41:28 -0500, Warren Wolfe <wizard at voyager.net>
wrote:

> On Sat, 2006-11-11 at 00:47 +0000, Tony Duell wrote:
>
>>> I've heard them called Amphenol, CHAMP, telco, PBX and RJ21X
>>> connectors as well as "Blue Ribbon" (shows my age).  But why
>>> "Centronics"?
>>
>> I normally call them 'Blue Ribbon' -- what should be be calling them?
>> Amphenol make (made?) a very large range of connectors, so that
>> name is
>> nowhere near specific enough...
>

>     It must be that "two great cultures separated by a common language
> thing.  The big, hooded connectors have been identified well here.
> Most
> places I have been refer to them as "Amphenol connectors," unless they
> are specifically for parallel printers, in which case people refer to
> them as Centronics cables.
>
>     The cables made from ribbon cable, with crimp-on square plastic
> headers are called, around these parts, "Berg cables" or "ribbon
> cables," due to the "Berg connectors," as Berg made most of them at
> one
> time.

Amphenol, the inventor of this type of connector, calls the current
connectors "Micro Ribbon". The original connector had connector
widths at least twice that of the current connectors and IIRC were
called "Blue Ribbon". You occasionally find them on old ('50s) gear -
especially old military radios and scientific equipment. The Micro
Ribbon 25 pair format was initially used big time  by the telecom
folks to hook up PBX systems and then transitioned to the computer
field where Centronic used the 36 connector version for what became
the ubiquitous printer port.

Among us old farts the name has stuck whereby we refer to all
connectors of that type as "Blue Ribbon" - nothing to do with blue
ribbon-cables - where all the newbies call them "Centronics".

	CRC