VCF 9.0

Jules Richardson julesrichardsonuk at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Nov 13 05:48:36 CST 2006

Jay West wrote:
> Wayne wrote....
>> It's hard to believe that you can't get a thread going about VCF on this
>> list.  Don't know if that says something about the show, the list or
>> both.  In the old days there was a lot of excitement - daily reports,
>> links to pictures, etc.  Now, almost nothing.
>
> I think it has to do mostly with the phase variance of peoples schedules
> and attention spans. There's times when a post gets made that normally
> everyone would chime in on, and no one does. The opposite also occurs.

My suspicions:

1) Any given VCF is way too far away for the majority to attend.
2) Pictures and technical info on systems can be found on the 'net already.
3) Discussions (and banter) with system owners can be regularly be had here
already.

... hence for most people a VCF discussion just serves no purpose, unlike in
the early days when it was something new and different to talk about (and
hence popular discussion even amongst non-attendees)

I don't think there's anything wrong with the show(s), or with the list - it's
just that now it's an 'old' concept there's less interest from the people who
won't be / weren't there.

That's not to say that there's *no* interest of course, so I am surprised that
there aren't more reports following a show given that it'd seem natural for a
lot of people to want to tell a story of their experiences there.

cheers

Jules
(waiting to see if there really is a 4GB file size limit in NTFS)

--
And if eight out of ten cats all prefer whiskas
Do the other two prefer Leslie Judd?