Practical question on valuation of old systems

Tony Duell ard at p850ug1.demon.co.uk
Thu Nov 16 17:19:43 CST 2006

> In article <m1GkUVF-000IysC at p850ug1>,
>     ard at p850ug1.demon.co.uk (Tony Duell)  writes:
>
> > > That seems to support my feeling that the price is driven more by
> > > desirability of collectors than rarity.  On the other hand that means
> >
> > Isn't that rather stating the obvious, in that collectors will pay more
> > for items that they really want?
>
> Maybe it seems that way, but the original poster was speculating that
> rarity was the price driver.

My point (which I didn't explain that well) is that 'desirability to
collectors' is almost certainly the main factor in the price. I think
that 'rarity' may well be a factor in 'desirability to collectors' (some
collectors will want to have a machine that nobody else owns), but may
not be the main factor.