TU-81+?

Tim Shoppa shoppa_classiccmp at trailing-edge.com
Tue Nov 21 16:30:05 CST 2006

"Jay West" <jwest at classiccmp.org> wrote:
> Dave wrote....
> >   As far as I recall, the TU80 is a rebadged CDC Keystone air- bearing
> > drive, model 92181.  There are service manuals for that drive  on
> > Bitsavers.  Look here:
> >
> >   http://www.bitsavers.org/pdf/cdc/magtape/
>
> So what about a TU81+? Those aren't quite the same drive I don't think.

IIRC the TU-80 is mostly a Keystone II (92181), the TU-81+ is
mostly (but more than) a Keystone III (92185). I think there
were variant model numbers for top-of-rack mounting (like the
versions DEC sold) vs the ones that went on a front of a rack
(often seen in Sun and countless other systems). I never could
tell if the DEC-badged versions had idential firmware (they often
tweaked things) but I never noticed any differences.

DEC TU-80's and TU-81's are usually configured to not run the
blower all the time, while most of the Keystones I used that didn't
come through DEC did run the blower all the time. I think this is
actually menu-configurable from SETUP but maybe it's really a firmware
difference (too many years!).

> Is
> the same manual sufficient for most things?

Some of the built-in diagnostics are the same. What's wrong with the
bitsavers manuals for the TU81? /pdf/dec/magtape/tu81/*

Tim.