RL01 directory listings

Jerome H. Fine jhfinedp3k at compsys.to
Mon Nov 27 16:40:46 CST 2006

 >Jay West wrote:

> [Snip]
>
> Another question - if under RT11 5.04, a disk pack shows "invalid
> directory"... doesn't that rule out RSX and RSTS packs? In other
> words, aren't those directories at least visible to RT11? I'm
> wondering what I can assume if a pack shows invalid directory under
> RT11 and isn't bootable with regards to the likelyhood I can consider
> it a scratch pack. I'd rather not init a pack that may contain
> something. Is there a better way to look?

Jerome Fine replies:

Without spending a few hours checking every place that
"invalid directory" is displayed from DIR.SAV, it is
impossible to understand exactly what triggers the message.

Also, I assume that you refer to using a hard disk drive
or other device that can be file structured.

However, I can say that the message is not caused when
DIR.SAV is unable to complete a read operation, but when
data is found that is different from what is expected.

In addition:

(a)  I zeroed out all of block one on a file structured
     device - this did not cause a problem of any sort -
     which contains non-essential RT-11 information

(b)  I then zeroed out the number of segments (first word
     in block 6 - this did cause the "invalid directory"
     message - since a non RT-11 file structure likely can have
     invalid data as far a what is required for RT-11, it
     can be assumed that the RT-11 "invalid directory"
     message is probable with other valid file structures

(c)  The above result will obviously occur when a new
     scratch device with all zeros in at least the first
     8 blocks since the first word in block 6 is zero.
     For example, under E11 it is possible to:
        MOUNT  DU0: RAM:/SIZE:65536  (65536 is the number of blocks)
     If the user does not first INIT  DU0:, then the DIR
     command will return the "invalid directory" message

In short, if the "invalid directory" message appears, you
can NOT assume that the device is a scratch pack.

ALSO, Jay I have not yet figured out a suitable reply
to your private question.  If it takes me more than a
week or two, please remind me again in case it has dropped
off my radar list.  I have some personal family items to
finish first and they have priority.

One other thing:

I am attempting to assemble some x86 code for an Ersatz-11
DLL file.  Since I am a dummy when it comes to even simple
x86 stuff, I don't know where to find a suitable x86 assembler,
let alone which one I should use.  The Borland TASM.EXE file
was suggested from Turbo C, but my old AT is not working.
Can anyone help me find or provide a link to TASM and TLINK?

I want to write code under RT-11 which will trigger code on
a Pentium system that uses the x86 instruction BTR (Bit Test
and Reset) so that I can clear a specified bit in a string
of bits that is up to 4 GigiBits in length - so I can use
that bit string as my work area.  Since there are a very large
number of bits to clear for the smaller primes (often more
than 10,000,000) in a work area of that size, it makes a very
efficient implementation if the DLL can clear all of them
with a single request before returning control to the RT-11
program, probably as efficient as writing the code in any
other manner.

Also, just in case anyone knows, might it also be possible
with the 64 bit CPUs to operate on a bit string larger than
4 GigiBits with the BTR instruction?  My limited understanding
of the manuals suggests that only a 32 bit address can be used -
although it would obviously be possible with additional code
to split the bit string into 2 portions.  This question is
mostly for the future since with most Pentium 4 systems, the
maximum memory is only 4 GigiBytes and probably half of that
will be required for other values in any case.

Can anyone help?

Sincerely yours,

Jerome Fine
--
If you attempted to send a reply and the original e-mail
address has been discontinued due a high volume of junk