When 4mm Drives Eat Tapes

Adrian Graham witchy at binarydinosaurs.co.uk
Tue Nov 28 16:19:58 CST 2006

On 28/11/06 21:22, "arcarlini at iee.org" <arcarlini at iee.org> wrote:

> DLT always had the decency to fail in non-destructive ways, the tape
> always survived intact.

Oo no, when the spool motor gets out of sync with the cart motor (or the
cart motor dies) much snappage takes place resulting in me swearing a lot
while I manually unspool an entire cart's worth of tape from the spool reel
:) To be fair this doesn't happen as often as snapped take-up leaders or
dead PSUs in external boxes, but it does happen.

> But to what should it be migrated. Don't all tape units rely
> on rollers somewhere? CD and/or DVD doesn't have a reputation

DLTs and Ultriums all use metal rollers, no traces of rubber anywhere,
fortunately.

--
Adrian/Witchy
Binary Dinosaurs creator/curator