differential SCSI conversion

jim stephens jwstephens at msm.umr.edu
Tue Nov 28 21:04:45 CST 2006

Zane H. Healy wrote:

> At 6:41 PM -0600 11/28/06, Scott Quinn wrote:
>
>> Currently, it has 1x4GB and 1x2GB, which leaves little free space
>> with a very off-topic OS (HP-UX 11.11)
>> diff SCSI drives, while technically superior to SE, are difficult to
>> find, so I'm looking at alternates.
>

> Have you thought about getting converter boards to convert SE drives
> to HVD?  Yes, they made such things.  Are HVD drives really that hard
> to get?
>
>     Zane

There are converters, of which I have some that will convert SE to HVD,
or whatever you want to say.  The
system won't boot off of anything but the wide HVD in any of those
boxes, at least from what my HP buddy
says.  I have some boxes with 2 or 4gb of memory, that I hope to convert
to something else.  The converters
show up from time to time on ebay, and about any wide to wide will
work.  HVD never got into the really
exotic transfer rates, so pretty dumb SE wide drives will work as far as
the HVD is concerned.

I don't know if there are any capacity caps, howver, in HPUX that those
drives might run
afoul of.

email me off list if you need more.  I have a friend who can help.  I
also have archived the "final" free
distro that HP mailed out, and I want to make it work on as many of my
boxes as I can before putting
them in storage, and keep one nice machine out for utility work.

Jim