Making large numeric displays

Jules Richardson julesrichardsonuk at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Oct 5 09:22:17 CDT 2006

Don wrote:
> Fred Cisin wrote:
>> On Wed, 4 Oct 2006, David Griffith wrote:
>> or howzbout:
>> rig up a multibit input (parallel port?) on a PC, wire that to the
>> existing 7 segment displays, and write trivial code to display an
>> image of 7 segment displays on the PC's screen (or projector!)
>
> Or, a mechanical actuator on an X-Y positioner to physically
> place placards in the desired locations on the "display grid".

Heh heh. You know me; I like thinking up electronmechanical analogues of
electronic devices. I was thinking about something involving individual
mechanisms for each digit, but that's way too difficult (in terms of cost /
time, not complexity) to do in bulk.

However I'd not really considered having just one mechanism and separate
cards. I suppose the card stack needs to be large as potentially someone could
place the same digit in 81 positions (no reason to during normal gameplay, but
you can bet that someone would try :)

There'd have to be some way of differentiating between changeable pieces and
ones that are static from when the game starts, too. (Potentially, each cell
could be backlit I suppose, and the colour of the backlight could be one of
two colours per cell)

Speed is also an issue - slow enough to see what's happening, but quick enough
that it doesn't interfere with gameplay.

cheers

J.

--
A. Because it destroys the natural flow of conversation.
Q. What's wrong with top posting ?