need docs for intel 80c186/80c188 evaluation board

dwight elvey dkelvey at hotmail.com
Tue Oct 10 09:22:48 CDT 2006

>From: Chris M <chrism3667 at yahoo.com>

>--- dwight elvey <dkelvey at hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi Chris
> > What are the letters after the 186 or 188 on your
> > chip.
> > Depending on the board, I have some AMD stuff that
> > might work
> > but it is tied into flash memory on the AMD board.
> > I also have a Forth that I implemented on a C186
> > that might also
> > work.
> > Do remember that there are several versions of these
> > chips with
> > different registers for hardware configurations. The
> > suffex letters
> > are important to know which you have.
> > Dwight
>
>  Hi Dwight, sorry for the delay. The thing isn't in
>front of me, but unless I'm mistaken, it's simply an
>80c186. I know there were lots of others, like the
>80c186eb and all. There's one socket that's empty, and
>this worries me. I guess I could contact the seller. I
>googled the subject, and the only things returned were
>classiccmp posts...

Hi Chris
If it is a 40 pin socket, it is most likely for a 80C187 math
chip. I have a several boards that have this socket but
only two 80c187's to go with them. These chips still hold
premium pricing( ~100-200$ ). The code most likely
didn't use the math chip. I've never fiddle with it but
I assume it is 87 compatable.
I guess one would have to go by package type. Each
80C186 had a slightly different fixed register structure
and I/O mapping. If you had the eprom with it, you might
try to save the main reset code. This will have the basic
setup to get the memory and I/O configured correctly
for that board. Once past the reset, just using 8086 code
would work well( except know where things like the serial
in and out was ). The 80C186 was basically 86 code with
a couple enhanced instructions borrowed from the 286.
Dwight