Experience with cartridge archival?

aliensrcooluk at yahoo.co.uk aliensrcooluk at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Oct 18 16:33:11 CDT 2006

 --- Bryan Pope <bpope at wordstock.com> wrote:
> And thusly were the wise words spake by Jim Leonar
> >
> > A mutual acquaintance of mine is trying to write
> thesis and needs a
> > little help.  He writes:
> >
> > "The project that I am working on is for my
> Masters in Library
> > Information Science degree with a focus on
> Archiving. For my paper I
> > have to write a 10 to 12 page paper on a subject
> that involves the
> > preservation of something that has archival
> significance. So I decided
> > to do it on video games and what steps are being
> taken to preserve them
> > on the media that they were originally written o
> such as Atari and
> > Nintendo cartridges some of which are degrading
> significantly and no
> > longer work on the game systems they were design
ed
> for."
> >
> > If anyone has any help or leads for him, or any
> experience archiving
> > ROMs/cartridges that may degrade over time and h
ow
> to properly preserve
> > them, please drop him a line at
> "andrew.pacilli at simmons.edu".  Your
> > input can shape an archivist's future :-)
>
> For Atari 2600, can you not just take a .bin
> downloaded from AtariAge
> and burn it to a suitable EPROM that is then
> installed on a suitable
> cartridge PCB?  AtariAge even sells everything you
> need to make your
> own cartridges.  As for Nintendo, I believe they
> will be releasing
> their back catalog for play on their new console,
> Wii.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Bryan

Thats not strictly true. Nintendo are releasing
*their* games for their old machines, such
as the SNES (aka Super Famicom in Japan), for
play on the Wii (pronounced "we" - it
apparently means "all" in Japanese)
However, there are about 2500 (perhaps more?)
SNES games of which only 100 or so are by
Nintendo.

Plus, what about the games by companies that
no longer exist, such as Psygnosis (bought by
Sony around 1999), Bitmap Brothers (ok, still
around but appear to be dead), Probe (dead),
US Gold and their subsidiary Kixx (dead) and
many others.

Regards,
Andrew B
aliensrcooluk at yahoo.co.uk