Somewhat OT: Wireless MIDI

David Griffith dgriffi at cs.csubak.edu
Wed Oct 18 19:50:07 CDT 2006

On Wed, 18 Oct 2006, Roy J. Tellason wrote:

> If I'm remembering right it's 31.5K,  which is not a standard serial rate at
> all.  Which means dedicated hardware,  though it doesn't strike me as being
> all that expensive hardware.

If by "dedicated hardware", you mean an inexpensive microcontroller, then
yes.  Please take a look at http://www.midibox.org/.  Documented there are
all sorts of fun things one can do with MIDI and microcontrollers.  MIDI
can be used as a quick, easy, and cheap way to wire up and control nearly
anything, not just synthesizers.

The infamous beer advert from last December with the house lights synced
with music is easily doable with midibox modules.

Note: My only associations with midibox.org are that I've built the stuff
described and enjoy it.  Don't discount me because I misremembered midi's
speed.

--
David Griffith
dgriffi at cs.csubak.edu