Wow; $192 for a 5.25" floppy disk drive

Barry Watzman Watzman at neo.rr.com
Thu Oct 19 12:14:53 CDT 2006

Re: " Hmmm, I've still got a few 3.5' BP drives in original shrinkwrap..."

No go.  There is no demand for either the 3.5" drives or the CD drives.
Only the 5.25" drives ($192 was high, but these usually go for about $100).

Reason:  There ARE USB 3.5" floppy drives, and USB external CD drives.

But, at present, if you need to read a 5.25" floppy on a PC, there is no
easy way to do it.  Modern motherboards no longer even support two floppy
drives [at all, of any kind].  And laptops?  Forget it.

We NEED a USB 5.25" (and I'd argue even 8") drive interface device.  It
should support both 360k and 1.2MB 5.15" drives, and perhaps 8" drives as
well.

At present, the old parallel port 5.25" drives are the only option for many
people.  So they will fetch absurd prices.

I have a 3.5" backpack also.  And a backpack tape drive, which used a floppy
interface.  I'd love to convert either/both to a 5.25" drive if you know
how.