dec /34a issue

Jay West jwest at ezwind.net
Thu Oct 19 14:34:21 CDT 2006

I just brought up my /34a and apparently it's sick. It has one DD11-PK.
Configuration is as follows:

1 - M8266 (A-F)
2 - M8265 (A-F)
3 - M9312 (A-B), M7859 (C-F)
4 - M7891 (A-F)
5 - Grant (D)
6 - Grant (D)
7 - Grant (D)
8 - Grant (D)
9 - M9302 (A-B), Grant (D)

What works:
Storing & retreiving various patterns from ram via the front panel works
fine in all cases.
Looping on CLR PC loops as expected
Looping on BR . loops as expected
Trap catcher works (first pass halts at 1030 filling ram, then a BR . loops
as expected).

The memory address test program fails though. It halts at 246 indicating a
memory addressing error. R1 points to 422. Examining memory via the front
panel shows the following:

420    420
422    177355
424    177353
426    177351
430    177347

So it looks to me like it is able to store 420 in 420, but nothing after
that. I would normally think there is a problem with the memory board
(M7891). However, I have replaced that board with 2 others, and all 3 boards
fail at the same address AND with the same values. I find that likely to
rule out the memory board as really being bad. In addition, I can deposit
and examine values to locations 420 through 430 via the front panel just
fine. It's my understanding that the KY11-LB puts data in memory via the
unibus, so I would think this makes it somewhat unlikely to be a backplane
issue. Is it a strong likelyhood that the problem is the cpu set itself
then, as that's what would be writing the values to memory during the
address test?

And as I type this, I just noticed something interesting. The numbers stored
in ram at 422 through 430 are the right numbers, just inverted logic. More
specifically if you invert all the bits in 177355 you get 422, if you invert
all the bits in 177353 you get 424, inverting 177351 gives 426 (all the
latter values being what I'd expect). I'm guessing there's a dead inverter
on the cpu set somewhere perhaps? But if that's the case, why does 420 get
set to 420 correctly??

Any advice is most appreciated :)

Jay West