Wow; $192 for a 5.25" floppy disk drive

Jules Richardson julesrichardsonuk at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Oct 20 21:26:01 CDT 2006

Tothwolf wrote:
> On Fri, 20 Oct 2006, Doc Shipley wrote:
>
>> 1) I like the idea of using something like ARM processors With
>> everything built into the chip, you'd not only get a much smaller
>> component count, but it seems to me that most of the layout and basic
>> code would likely be already out there.  All that spells a lower
>> long-run cost in general, and more universal accessibility.
>
> I was thinking the same thing. Heck, if you are using an ARM already,
> lots of *nix type OS have already been ported to it, which might mean
> there are already even more software tools ready for use.

True. I'm sure one of the guys over on the BBC micro mailing list has
mentioned he's come up with an IP stack for one of the ARM boards; I'll have a
hunt through messages sometime.

> Personally, if someone is going to build a small device such as this,
> I'd really like to see at least 3 interface options; RS232 serial, USB
> 2.0, and ethernet. These would pretty much cover 99% of the folks who'd
> want to use it.

Personally I'd prefer SCSI over most other options - for the level of what
we'd need it's easy to implement in hardware and easy to program for at the
device end, plus certainly for Linux I know there are user-land tools
available to send out raw SCSI commands to a device. Any kind of serious data
recovery box I built would have SCSI on it anyway, in order to support
archival from disks and tapes. I'm atypical, though :-)

> Is anyone else here familiar with the Empeg?

Yahuh - I've met the designer, actually; he lives not too far from me in the
UK and was the person who gave the museum our BeBox. Nice guy.

cheers

Jules