Faraday cages ( was Re: staticy plastic tubs )

Sun Oct 22 20:53:30 CDT 2006

> Take a simple string expression, for example:
>     D$=A$+B$+C$
> [...]  The code could get as bad as:  [...really stupid
> implementation...]

Well, yes.  (And an interpreted implementation could be stupid too.)  I
don't think anyone has said that a stupid compiled implementation can't
be beat by a smart interpreter.

What I'm having trouble with is the claim that some interpreters can
beat compiled code in general, rather than specific (and stupid)
compilers' output.

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML	       mouse at rodents.montreal.qc.ca