Odd 8-bit ISA CD-ROM interface?

Doc Shipley doc at mdrconsult.com
Tue Oct 24 14:29:30 CDT 2006

Jim Leonard wrote:
> Excellent.  This means that, memory and cpu target permitting, I can use
> recent distros on older hardware.
>
> I know that Redhat switched over to Pentium-and-higher only CPU targets
> a while ago; do any of the major pre-compiled distros (Fedora Core,
> Ubuntu, Debian, etc.) still support 386?

   I think Slackware does and I know Debian does out of the box.  Even a
late-gen kernel can be built to run in small memory, but you'll probably
want an older distribution anyway, in order to get a userland
lightweight enough to run in < 8MB of memory.

   Unless you need something unique to Linux, I'd suggest NetBSD or
OpenBSD for small-memory systems.

	Doc