CD-ROM archiving

Roger Merchberger zmerch-cctalk at 30below.com
Thu Oct 26 12:36:33 CDT 2006

Rumor has it that Adam Goldman may have mentioned these words:

>I usually use dd, or even cat, on the first try reading a disc, just
>out of laziness. But there's a program 'readcd' (part of the cdrtools
>suite, IIRC) which is a little more sophisticated. In particular, if
>a disc has a marginal sector or two, dd will give up, but readcd will
>retry until it gets a good read.

dd will "give up on that sector but continue beyond error" if one uses:

dd conv=noerror ...

It can be handy if one needs to get data after a bad spot on the disk.

Laterz,
Roger "Merch" Merchberger

--
Roger "Merch" Merchberger   | "Bugs of a feather flock together."
sysadmin, Iceberg Computers |           Russell Nelson