The Origins of DOS

jim stephens jwstephens at msm.umr.edu
Sat Oct 28 00:13:46 CDT 2006

Fred Cisin wrote:

>On Fri, 27 Oct 2006, Warren Wolfe wrote:
>

>><snip>
>>    From what I can tell, TRSDOS was not a rip-off of anyone's software,
>>and nobody bothered to rip it off, so it's pretty much out of the world
>>of O/S scandal.
>>

><snip>

LNW Research ripped of the machine, the firmware.  Did it run a
different O/S?  I know that
it and Pineapple (in various guises) all were of the opinion that the
contents of rom were not
subject to copyright, and probably forced the process that lead to what
is called DRM now
in part.

When the lawsuits were done, both LNW, and the Pineapple people all
ceased operation
overnight (at least in the US).  Most of the Pineapple people were
headquartered in the LA
area where I am, and there were junk ones on the market for a year after
they were shut
down.

LNW was headquartered in Irvine, I think, and the operators moved
immediatly to found
ALR after ceaing operation doing LNW, but did it with licensed designs, etc.