Heathkit H27

Ethan Dicks ethan.dicks at gmail.com
Wed Sep 6 22:02:50 CDT 2006

On 9/7/06, Gary L. Messick <Gary at realtimecomp.com> wrote:
> > Of for that matter, can an H27 be hooked up to a non-heath Micro
> PDP11?
> >
> You could always by-pass the built-in controller in the H-27 box, and
> just interface to the bare drives.

Yes, the bare drives are standard 50-pin 8" drives, a-la TM-848s or
similar, but DEC never made a controller for 8" floppies that talked
to a naked drive.  I do have a 3rd-party Qbus controller from a
Dataram-branded box that does, though.

I'm still pretty sure that the H-27 Qbus controller card is software-compatible
with one of the DEC Qbus floppy controllers.  The electrical interface,
though, is specific to the H27.

-ethan