Dymo Labelwriter 330 Turbo (data)

Alexey Toptygin alexeyt at freeshell.org
Tue Sep 26 15:35:06 CDT 2006

On Mon, 25 Sep 2006, John R. wrote:

> On 9/25/06, aliensrcooluk at yahoo.co.uk <aliensrcooluk at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> Thanks for that, if no-one can help I'll look
>> out for that piece of kit on eBay and get
>> myself a laptop (I hate MS & Windoze)
>>
>> I did some research before buying myself the
>> Labelwriter, and some guy (I forget his name)
>> has written a driver for a modern printer
>> so he could use it with his retro one.
>> He used software to intercept the data being
>> sent/recieved, rather than some equipment.
>>

>> I also hooked up the Labelwriter to my Amiga
>> 600, and used AMOS BASIC to try and get it
>> to print something by sending random data
>> (perhaps a bad idea) to it with no luck.
>> I did, however, confirm that the Amiga
>> recognised that the printer was connected.
>
> There are software serial protocol analyzers that just monitor the
> port. They are inferior to hardware protocol analyzers in that they
> may hide or distort relative timing of requests/responses and flow
> control signals. But they are certainly better than nothing, and may
> be sufficient.

Yep, I wrote one a while ago to reverse-engineer a smartcard reader.
Unfortunately the reader died before I could use my tool :-( I called the
software serialdump, you can get it here:

http://alexeyt.freeshell.org/code/serialdump.tgz

The readme has instructions for making cabling:

http://alexeyt.freeshell.org/code/serialdump.README

Let me know if you need help with it.

 			Alexey