RX02 Problem solved...

Tony Duell ard at p850ug1.demon.co.uk
Wed Sep 27 17:56:33 CDT 2006

> Tony and others -
>
> The head load pad looks visually fine.  The head load spring tension
> appears pretty normal , and the solenoid pulls in nicely.
>
> The drive consistently reads the first 10 or so tracks, then tosses
> various number of errors as it goes further out.

By 'out', I assume you mean towards higher numbered tracks -- that is
with the head closer to the spindle.

> I've cleaned the head, and cleaned/lubed the spindle.  The track 0
> sensor appears fine.
>
> It is indeed possible that the alignment is off - that would probably
> explain the poor performance as it steps out.
> I guess a worn out head would have the same symptoms.

I can see no obvious reason why you'd get more errors on inner tracks if
the alignment was off. The errors would be on all tracks I would think.
Unless your leadscrew is so warn that the head is not properly postiioned
(I have _never_ seen that happen).

A worn/dirty head might give more errors on the inner tracks where the
bit density is higher (shorter tracks), though.