Dreaming of a lean installation method [was Re: *nix on "classic" systems]

Ethan Dicks ethan.dicks at gmail.com
Wed Apr 11 07:21:05 CDT 2007

On 4/11/07, Angel Martin Alganza <ama at ugr.es> wrote:
> Here it's when it (finally) comes my idea...  I've been trying to get
> some modern Unix variant on my 486 notebook (no CD, PCMCIA NIC) for
> quite some time now hithout enough (to my likings) success.  It's got
> 16MB RAM, but, for some reason, it recognises only 12.  And, of course,
> 12MB is not enough to run any modern installer.

Your extra 4MB might be hidden behind your video card.  That's the
case with my PS/2-E... it's a 486SLC - a laptopish 386SX with some
extensions - thus a max 16M address space.  In my case, there's a
jumper to allow direct addressing of the RAM on the video card to
enhance the "pep" of windowing environments, leaving 12MB of system
RAM visible, or, you can have access to all 16MB of RAM, but pokey
bitmap graphics.  Obviously, I chose 16MB and poor bitmap performance
since I am not running a windowing environment.  Unfortunately, I'd be
surprised to see such a jumper on a laptop.

So one question to ask is, is that laptop a 486SX or DX, or is it a
486SLC.  Those are two entirely different chips.

-ethan