Dreaming of a lean installation method [was Re: *nix on

Angel Martin Alganza ama at ugr.es
Wed Apr 11 12:33:55 CDT 2007

On Wed, Apr 11, 2007 at 11:33:54AM -0400, Ken Seefried wrote:

> I'll expand on my original suggestion: fork something from the NetBSD 1.x

I didn't understand what you meant by your original suggestion of
forking.

> ClassicBSD would need to be about 'have to have' functionality, not 'nice
> to have' functionality.  Just as long as we all agree NetHack stays.

I couldn't have though of a better way of saying it: 'have to have' is
exactly what I would love to see on an OS which I would use a lot.

> Note that "fork" != "stagnate".  You'd need to build a community, but for a

Again, I didn't find the words to express what I said before (...kept
current or modern...); not to stagnate is the right word for the idea I
had in mind.

> BTW...if you aggressively avoid eye candy, even X11 can be relatively
> useful on old hardware.  Strip out all the bloaty modules and drivers (you
> probably don't need OpenGL and font smoothing is a luxury you can't afford)
> turn off all the fancy options (no, you can't have opaque moves...not
> yours) and keep to a bare minimum WM.

I, for one, don't need anything else than Ion, a framed, tiled, tabbed
window manager which allows me to cut out my screen on frames to keep
as many xterms (with screen and ssh connections) as I can fit; or to
have just one frame with one xterm on it, when the screen is small
(640x480, for instance).

> There are even lighter choices...fork a "classic" X release (like 11.3...as
> if your hardware supports any of the functionality added since then) or
> someone could raise from the dead/port MGR or some such.

I'd love to use MGR, or W (I still keep a PicoBSD+W floppy which I
very much like), or whatever which allows what I've just described
before. Nothing fancy, eye candy or whatever.

Cheers,
Angel

--
Angel Martin Alganza               Tel +34 958 248 926
Departamento de Genetica           Fax +34 958 244 073
Universidad de Granada               mailto:ama at ugr.es
C/ Fuentenueva s/n             http://www.ugr.es/~ama/
E-18071 Granada, Spain     JabberID alganza at jabber.org
  PGP Public key: http://www.ugr.es/~ama/ama-pgp-key
  3EB2 967A 9404 6585 7086  8811 2CEC 2F81 9341 E591