Dreaming of a lean installation method [was Re: *nix on

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Thu Apr 12 01:49:10 CDT 2007

On Apr 11, 2007, at 8:21 PM, der Mouse wrote:
>>> The problem, of course, is, whose idea of "have to have" controls?
>> This is an easy problem to solve.  Resist the temptation to bundle
>> non-OS software with the OS.
>
> That doesn't really solve anything; all it does is shift the
> debates to
> the question of what counts as part of the OS.

   True I suppose...but it would get us partway there, as, for
example, I don't think anyone (with the possible exception of Sun
Microsystems) would suggest that Postgres is a part of the OS.

   For the rest...*Someone* has to make the ruling, preferably
leaning to the "not part of the OS" side more often than not, and the
people who want everything handed to them on a platter will just need
to bite the bullet and learn how to type "./configure;make;make
install"...or go run another OS.

> For exmaple, I consider a C compiler part of the OS.  Others will
> doubtless disagree.  Some would consider perl part of the OS; I don't.

   Incidentally, I would agree on both counts.

           -Dave

--
Dave McGuire
Port Charlotte, FL