Quick survey on equipment

Ethan Dicks ethan.dicks at gmail.com
Wed Apr 18 07:57:57 CDT 2007

On 4/18/07, David Griffith <dgriffi at cs.csubak.edu> wrote:
> I have... an XOR

That's one of the CP/M systems I have, along with a Kaypro 2, a
Commodore 128 (for which I do have CP/M but haven't done much with).
I think I can also count my TRS-80 Model III, but I'm much more likely
to run NEWDOS or something similar than CP/M on it.

The XOR is my only 8" drive CP/M system; it's also my only S-100
system.  I couldn't afford that stuff when it was newer, so I never
developed a deep understanding or great fondness for it.  I was
thoroughly immersed in Commodores back in that era.

The last time I ran a CP/M program as a productive exercise (as
opposed to hardware debugging and checkout) wasn't even under CP/M, it
was under MS-DOS with a CP/M emulator, over 15 years ago.  I even
replaced my 8088 with an NEC V20 chip to run CP/M programs faster.  It
was all so I could play Scott Adams adventures on my PeeCee Clone,
long before ScottFree and other more modern Adventure International
game engines.

I don't have anything against CP/M; I just couldn't afford the
platform when it was the big thing, and all the free computers I had
access to were Commodores, Apples, or TRS-80s.

-ethan