VM/386

Warren Wolfe wizard at voyager.net
Wed Apr 18 20:20:54 CDT 2007

Thread was: Re: PC-MOS?

On Thu, 2007-04-12 at 16:27 -0400, Dave McGuire wrote:

>    My office in 1988/1989 used a product called "VM/386 Multiuser"
> which did a similar thing, using Wyse terminals.  Most DOS apps
> worked very well, and it was fast.  It used the virtual '86 mode of
> the 80386 processor.  We ran it on a cached 386DX/25 with three
> terminals.
>
>    A very different sort of thing, and long after PC-MOS, but worth
> mentioning.  I'd love to find a copy of that again to play with; it
> was good stuff.

    I would point out that VM/386 did NOT just run DOS -- any operating
system could be loaded in a virtual machine, and run independently,
along with DOS... or without DOS for that matter.  I'm glad you liked
it...  It was written by some friends of mine in Okemos, Michigan.  It
was a remarkably stable environment -- I always thought they should have
gotten rich and famous for their work.

            Peace,

            Warren E. Wolfe
            wizard at voyager.net