Why are these SGI boxes double-high?

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Tue Apr 24 16:23:50 CDT 2007

On Apr 24, 2007, at 1:42 PM, Richard wrote:
> It turns out all this SGI gear is coming from Boeing.  That means the
> Onyx 2 Reality Monster is likely to have a nice multi-head
> configuration :-).  Woo hoo!
>
> So my question is... why is this Onyx and Challenge pictured in a
> double-high cabinet?
>
>     <http://www.dovebid.com/assets/display.asp?ItemID=cpt58902>
>     <http://www.dovebid.com/assets/display.asp?ItemID=cpt58877>
>
> Usually when I see a Challenge or Onyx in a photo I see a cabinet that
> is half the height of these and that includes space for all the boards
> and drives.  So what would you need the extra cabinet space for?  More
> boards and drives or just more drives?

   This is the Onyx/Challenge "rack" configuration.  If memory
serves, it can hold up to three Ebus/VME card cages, and at least one
19" rackmount disk chassis.  In my experience, these have been just
about as common as the deskside chassis, though a real pain to move.
The big plus is that they have very good rollers.  They do, sadly,
also suffer from the same old SGI problem of cheap plastic skins that
practically disintegrate if not handled like fine china.  If you so
much as look at one of those front door hinges wrong, it will break.

            -Dave

--
Dave McGuire
Port Charlotte, FL