DC-600/300XL tape cart observation

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Thu Apr 26 11:45:08 CDT 2007

On 26 Apr 2007 at 12:16, M H Stein wrote:

> Aside from the issue of archiving them, is it better to leave them
> until needed, or should I run them through a retension occasionally
> to prevent some of the problems mentioned recently? Any special
> conditions for storage?

Well, obviously, a lot depends on the tape formulation itself.  The
job immediately before this one was a DC-6250 written in 1992.  Went
without a hitch.  The problem tapes are "Scotch" and were written in
1986-87 and are nothing but problems.

To me "archiving" is the key.  Copy the things off to another storage
medium (say, CD-R) and regenerate copies every few years.  It's just
plain foolish to leave things to the mercy of Father Time.

Cheers,
Chuck